- Democratic Forum
أضف رد جديد
الفاتح مبارك
مشاركات: 56
اشترك في: الاثنين مايو 09, 2005 6:16 pm

Letter to the Site’s administrator: problem of translation

مشاركة بواسطة الفاتح مبارك »

Nagat,

I would like to congratulate you and your support teams on the successful launch of the site. I am a little concerned, however, about the fact that most of the menus and the instructions of how to use the site are in Arabic. The available translation of these menus are either inconsistent or completely absent.

It is evident that you’re keen to have the site accessible for all those who can read Arabic, English and French. Unfortunately the available instructions of how to use the site e.g. how to post articles, assume that the user of the site knows only how to do so in Arabic.
You are of course aware that a substantial number of Sudanese, inside Sudan or in the Diaspora, can hardly read Arabic and therefore will not be able , for example , to participate by posting articles in English or French due to the lack of online menus or instructions in their languages.

I also understand that Internet software are usually “culturally –insensitive”. But I am pretty sure that you and Boula and your support team are hyper-sensitive to those kind of oversights and you will do what you can to allow others who are conversant in languages other than Arabic to contribute to all available forums.

You’re sincerely
Elfatih Mobark
صورة العضو الرمزية
نجاة محمد علي
مشاركات: 2809
اشترك في: الأربعاء مايو 04, 2005 1:38 am
مكان: باريس

مشاركة بواسطة نجاة محمد علي »

الصديق الفاتح مبارك
عاطر التحايا

من المؤكد إنك تعني أن هناك مشاكل في الترجمة في استخدام المنبر، وليس في الموقع ككل.
وكما تعلم، فإن المنابر المتعارف عليها في الشبكة العالمية حتى الآن قد أعدت أساساً بلغات أوروبية، ومنها تمّ نقل النماذج المستخدمة في المواقع التي تستخدم اللغة العربية. وقد واجهتنا مشكلات في العديد من التعبيرات المعرّبة عن طريق الترجمة الآلية، أو على يد مبرمجين لا يتقنون العربية. وقد استطاع الأصدقاء الذين تبرعوا عن طيب خاطر بإنشاء هذا الموقع حذف الكثير من النصوص الموجودة سلفاً مع هذه النسخة العربية، والتي لا تتطابق مع توجهاتنا، مثل نموذج القوانين الذي زُودت النسخة به. هذا على سبيل المثال. وأخيراً تمكن أحمد وإيمان من شطب بعض العبارات المترجمة بشكلٍ عجيب، أو ترجمةً حرفية، أو بعبارات تحمل أخطاءً لغوية فادحة من شاكلة "مستخدمين المنتدى"!
هذا فيما يختص ببعض مشاكل الترجمة التي واجهناها قبل أن نجعل النسخة متماشية مع احتياجنا. ولا زالت هناك مشاكل نسعى لحلها. فالعافية درجات. والأصدقاء الذي يحملون على كاهلهم العبء الفني، يقومون بهذا العمل تبرعاً، ويبذلون هذه الجهود استقطاعاً من وقتهم الخاص.

أما فيما يتعلق بموضوع مداخلتك، أي ترجمة التعليمات الخاصة باستخدام المنبر إلى اللغة الإنجليزية (أو الفرنسية)، فإن بإمكانك، ببعض جهد وقليل من المعافرة استكشاف الإمكانيات المتاحة للأعضاء، وسترى عندئذ أنه بإمكانك تحويل لغة المنبر إلى الإنجليزية، وذلك بالدخول إلى ملفك الخاص والتنقل عبر خاناته حيث ستجد خانةً خاصةً باللغة التي تود استخدامها، هذه الخانة مكتوبة بالإنجليزية (حتى في النسخة العربية) وتحتوي على خيارين: English/Arabic.
قال الصديق أحمد المرضي مرةً إنه كثيراً مايلجأ لاستخدام الإشارات التي تعين، عن طريق ردود الفعل البافلوفية، على فهم وظائف الأزرار والاستخدامات المختلفة، بدلاً من اللجوء لاستخدام اللغة. وأرى إنه توجد هنا الكثير من الأزرار التي يكفي مجرد النظر إليها لفهم وظيفتها، سواءً كانت إضافة رد أو حذف آخر... إلى غير ذلك من الاستخدامات. هناك أيضاً الكثير من الإمكانيات المتاحة التي تتطلب معرفتها شوية معافرة من كل واحدٍ أو واحدةٍ منا.

نحاول من جانبنا أن نبذل كل جهدنا من أجل تسهيل استخدام المنبر والموقع ونرحب بكل الاقتراحات والإضاءات التي ستأتينا منك ومن كل الأصدقاء.

ولك جزيل الشكر وعامر الود.
نجاة
الفاتح مبارك
مشاركات: 56
اشترك في: الاثنين مايو 09, 2005 6:16 pm

مشاركة بواسطة الفاتح مبارك »

Nagat;

Thank you for your generous response and clarifications. I have all respect in the world for the volunteer effort devoted in the design and the administration of the site. Your site looks promising. And I have a sincere desire to see you succeed in utilizing the potentials of the digital media to accommodate the language diversity of your users’ communities. I would like also to take this opportunity and congratulate our friends Ahmed Elmardi and Iman Shaggag for a job well done. Another remarkable work added to their repertoire of achievements in this domain.

The current instructions to get to the user’s profile and the set of instructions available there, on how to change the user’s language to his/her preferred language are themselves written in Arabic. They are unusable for those who can not read in this language.

A common way to get around such issue is to have the ability to change the user’s language placed right on the front page, or made available as a set of a simple How-To-Use-The-Site page, written in the three language of the site and made available on the front page through a link.

I agree with you that users have to make some efforts to use the site. But a lot of users in Sudan and elsewhere suffer from Internet-illiteracy. Educating them on how to use the site’s features in their languages is a good “marketing” practice and a nice gesture of “cultural” hospitality. Of the later, most of us Sudanese are really hungry for.

Wish you all the best of luck.

Salam
Elfatih
Ahmed Elmardi
مشاركات: 1279
اشترك في: الأحد مايو 08, 2005 8:08 pm

مشاركة بواسطة Ahmed Elmardi »

Dear Elfatih
Salamat wa kaif alhal,
Good to see you around.

Thanks for your generous words about our work.

Your comments about the language issues are valid; this copy of the forum which we are currently using,
despite the work we have done on it is almost on its default form, it is yet far from what we are looking for.
We will be working on the issues you’ve kindly specified and other issues – related to the forum in particular-,
customizing it to accommodate the 3 languages in a better way

Ability to load swf, jpeg, png, mp3 and other audio files, etc
Those are all areas to be addressed as we go on.
أضف رد جديد